9/10 Screams
Ti West throws us in a terror time machine to the 80's with his sure to be horror classic; The House of the Devil. Finally a smart, suspenseful movie that will haunt you to your core. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I went to see it. This film follows Jocelyn Donahue's character Samantha as she slips and falls into a hell of ghastly characters.
80's style credits, high wasted pants, and a grainy film style help Jocelyn Donahue suck you right into this movie. The new scream queen holds down the silver screen with solid acting and a beautiful face while beating down satan loving maniacs. She does an excellent job playing Samantha the babysitter, and is blossoming into a great actress.
Ti West's ability to write and direct is beautifully displayed in this film. He perfectly builds tension and suspense all the way up to a thrilling climax that will shake the shit out of you. HIs ability to tell a story shines as he drops subtle bits of character into every scene. Just when you think its safe, your face gets ripped off with a brilliant plot turn. This movie horrified me and left me thinking about it for weeks after. Beginning to end, West destroys all stereotypes of the genre and leaves you wanting more.
No cheap scares here, West's new horror is a winner. Thanks for reading and I hope you found this review helpful. Grab a buddy, dim the lights, and enjoy a solid film.
No comments:
Post a Comment